Copyright 1996-1998, By Mark Fleming
Summary of Common Graphics Formats
Graphics translation is NOT a trivial task,
different formats have different
attributes (BitMap Depth, Color BitMaps, Color Tables, Vector Graphics,
PostScript Description, Object Oriented, etc...). The following sections
contains information about several graphic formats. It is not a complete
specification of the graphic format, only an outline to help choose the correct
conversion process for your needs. Selecting the wrong format result in loss
in quality or ability to edit the resulting image.
On the Macintosh PICT file is a standard object oriented native picture format
for all Macintosh applications. A BitMap is one possible object in a PICT file
(other object include: Text, BitMaps, lines, circles, regions, fill patterns,
etc..). All programs that use, graphics on the Macintosh can use PICT files,
but not all program can edit, objects in the PICT files, some programs convert
them to BitMaps.
On the IBMpc BMP bitmap format is a standard format used by Microsoft Window
3.1 and Windows 95, NT.
The problem is that many MS-DOS and Windows programs don't use the PICT format, and Macintosh
may or may not be able to use BMP format. with Apple's QuickTime installed on Windows any QuickTime application can read bitmap PICT files.
And with QuickTime 3.0 many more image formats can be read.
To resolve this conflict, you need to convert it to a compatible format. Conversion examples:
File translation between Macintosh computer and IBMpc compatible computers,
the most common problems are:
file name differences, graphics formats, and fonts.
- PICT to BMP - looses object oriented information and Text.
- Window MetaFile to PICT - Object oriented translation.
- EPS preview low resolution, good for printing not display. Requires Postscript RIP for good quality printing.
- BitMap to BitMap (Some common Black & White bitmap formats: .BMP,
.PCX, MacPaint, & B&W TIFF).
- GIF used on WWW, limited to 256 colors.
- Color BitMap to Black & White BitMap - dither or threshold conversion from color to Black and White.
- TIFF to BMP or TIFF to PICT
- Problems: Resolution?, B&W or Color?,
number of colors 4, 16, 256, 16 Thousands, 16 Million.
- JPEG - good compression, no good for editing, good for scanned pictures, used on the WWW.
Drag and Drop Translation Tools:
BMP / PICT |
EPS Preview Converter |
Change Type and Creator (CTC)
Contextual Menu Manager Plugin's:
Lock / Unlock |
Change Type and Creator |
QT Still Graphics
BPC PaintBrush (PCX) |
QT Graphics Importer |
StartUp Screen Translator |
QT Float(tm) MacOS and
QT Float(tm) for Windows 95, 98 and NT.
Back to the Images of the World
MacOS Tips ||
Windows Tips ||
Last updated: 10 June 1998, By RMF